If you do get into a car accident in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, there are a few things you need to know. This isn’t something our parents teach us when we’re growing up. They make sure we have an emergency kit in the trunk. They may even teach you how to change a tire. But they never think to tell you what steps you need to take if you get into a car crash.
Here are the basic steps to follow immediately after a car accident in Fort Walton Beach:
• Call the police. They’ll come out and do an investigation of the accident scene. They’ll check to see if either of the drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They’ll also check to make sure the drivers provide valid insurance and license information. Finally, they’ll provide you with a police report with all of the details of their investigation.
• Seek medical treatment immediately. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, you still need to go to the hospital. The police will arrange for an ambulance if you’re not able to get there on your own. It’s important that your Fort Walton Beach car accident lawyer have proof that you were hurt. The best way to do this is with your medical records.
• Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach. Even if the accident seems minor, your insurance claim could still be denied. If this happens, you’re going to need a skilled car accident lawyer.
If you follow these guidelines, you’ll give your Fort Walton Beach car accident lawyer the best chance to get you the compensation you deserve. As long as they have the police report and medical records, you’ll have a good chance at recovery. If you don’t do these basic things, you’re going to make your lawyer’s job a lot harder than it has to be.
The last thing you’re going to want to do is make your Fort Walton Beach accident lawyer’s job any harder than it already is. They’ll have their hands full when it comes to proving your case and collecting damages. You don’t want them to have to waste time and money tracking down evidence to support your case. You also don’t want them to have a hard time when they need to prove your injuries.
What are You Supposed to Do if Your Insurance Claim is Denied in Florida?
It’s bad enough to get into a car crash. To find out that the other driver’s insurance company has denied your claim is downright frustrating. It seems unfair. If you didn’t cause the accident, why would the insurance company deny the claim?
It’s not unusual for an insurance company to deny your claim. It happens more often than you may think. If insurance companies paid every claim that came across their desk, they’d go bankrupt in no time. It’s nothing personal, it’s just business. Some of the reasons why your claim may be denied include:
• The policy isn’t valid or lapsed for non-payment
• The vehicle was not listed on the defendant’s insurance policy
• The insurance adjuster doesn’t believe you were injured
• They believe the accident was your fault
• They think you’re exaggerating your injuries
• You have a history of filing claims
• Your claim is very expensive and they think they can settle for less down the road
The good news is that your Fort Walton Beach car accident lawyer will try to negotiate a settlement of your claim. They’ll deal with the insurance adjuster and try to get your claim resolved.
You Will Eventually Receive the Damages to Which You’re Entitled
When you hear that your insurance claim has been denied, you’re going to panic. You’ll worry how you’re going to pay your bills. You won’t know how you’re going to feed your family. And, on a practical level, you wonder how you’re going to get your car fixed.
The good news is that, eventually, you should get the damages to which you’re entitled. This is why you hire an experienced car accident lawyer in the first place. They’ll work hard to prove that you’re entitled to compensation. The amount you get will depend on the type of accident. It will also depend on the severity of your injuries.
No matter what type of accident you’re in, you’ll probably suffer some injuries. This means you may be entitled to compensation. Your attorney will fight to get you as much money as possible.
Your Fort Walton Beach personal injury attorney is going to demand the following when it comes to damages:
• Medical Bills: You’ll be entitled to compensation for any medical bills you accrue as a result of the accident. This includes things like ambulance ride bills, prescription medications and co-pays. It also includes future medical bills. Your doctor can testify as to what kind of treatment you’ll need in the future. This will be included in your demand for damages.
• Lost Wages: If your injuries are serious, you’ll be out of work for a while. Your Fort Walton Beach injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for any lost time. They can prove this using time sheets and payroll records.
• Property Damage: Obviously, if any of your personal property is damaged in the crash, you can demand money to cover the repairs. If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident and your vehicle is destroyed, you’re entitled to buy a new one. The defendant needs to be liable for this.
• Pain and Suffering: If you’re hurt bad, you will experience a lot of pain and suffering. You can demand that you be compensated for this as well. For example, if you can no longer play sports because of your injury, this would be included in pain and suffering. So are damages for the physical and mental anguish caused by the accident.
Your Fort Walton Beach accident lawyer is going to fight to get you as much money as possible. But, in order to do so, they’ll need to prove your damages.
What Happens to Your Medical Bills While You’re Waiting for Your Case to Settle?
One of the first things clients as us is how they’re supposed to get medical care while they’re waiting for their claim to be paid. It’s not as if you can get free medical care. When you go to the emergency room or hospital, there will be copays. There will be deductibles. And, at least at first, your primary health insurance provider will have to cover these bills.
You have to keep in mind – they aren’t doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They will expect to be reimbursed when you settle your case. The insurance company will actually file a lien when your lawsuit is filed. They will be one of the first people paid when you eventually settle your case.
If for some reason you decide not to sue, the insurance company will still take action. They can file suit on their own if you choose not to. For example, if you stop communicating with your Fort Walton Beach accident lawyer, they’ll stop working on your case. However, the insurance company will have their own team of lawyers file suit. They’re going to expect to be paid at some point for the money they put out.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you or your loved one are hurt in any sort of motor vehicle accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. They'll review your case and let you know if you have a case. They can also give you an idea of what your case might be worth.
When you get into a car accident, you’re going to need to focus on getting better. You won’t have time to deal with lawyers and insurance adjusters. You’ll need to go to doctor’s appointments and physical therapy. Let your attorney handle the legal side of things for you. This way, you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. The consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case. This gives you a chance to sit down and ask any questions you may have. Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. Let your Fort Walton Beach injury lawyer handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting better.