People who get behind the wheel after drinking are not just likely to cause accidents; the injuries they cause are often far more severe than those caused by sober drivers. A negligent driver’s decision to have “just one more” can have devastating effects on other people sharing the road, causing innocent drivers and passengers to suffer lifelong or even fatal injuries.
If you have been injured in a drunk driving crash in the Emerald Coast or Northwest Florida, Browning Law Firm can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today by calling (850) 344-1736 to learn more about your rights in your FREE case review.
Victims Have the Burden of Proof in Florida DUI Accidents
The victims of drunk driving accidents and their families have the right to file claims in civil court to recover payment for their medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and punitive damages. However, in order to recover punitive damages, the victim has the burden of proof that the at-fault driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the crash. While the level of proof required to win an injury claim is lower than the level needed for a criminal conviction, you must still be able to show that more likely than not that the driver’s negligence directly led to your injuries to win compensation.
As a former Florida State Trooper, attorney Coy H. Browning has made over a hundred DUI arrests. He knows how to gather conclusive evidence of drunk driving, the procedures that police must follow at a suspected DUI crash scene, and how to anticipate and overcome the potential arguments of insurance company defense attorneys.
Coy Browning’s time in the force gives him an advantage when it comes to:
- Interpreting Florida DUI laws. Many people do not realize that drivers can be charged with DUI in Florida, even if they are below the legal limit. Any motorist whose normal faculties are impaired by alcohol can be charged with DUI or reckless driving regardless of whether they have a high alcohol concentration in their bloodstream.
- Collecting evidence. As a Trooper, Coy Browning attended numerous accident scenes and knows which evidence of DUI is most compelling to a jury. He can request copies of official reports from law enforcement, such as breath and blood tests, body cam footage, the arrest report, and field sobriety test results, and ask police officers who attended the scene to serve as expert witnesses. Our law firm can also subpoena hospital toxicology reports and video footage from nearby businesses to clearly show the driver’s actions during and after the crash.
- Determining liability. Most states allow bars or restaurants that over-serve alcohol to a customer to share liability when the customer drives drunk. However, Florida’s dram shop law only allows a bar or restaurant to be held liable if it served alcohol to anyone under age 21or knowingly provided alcohol to someone who is habitually intoxicated. We can identify all potentially liable parties to get all the compensation you are entitled to for your injuries.
Let a Former Florida State Trooper Advise You on Your Rights and Get the Compensation You Deserve
If the driver who struck you is arrested for DUI, you do not have to wait for the criminal trial to take place before you file a personal injury lawsuit. In fact, it is often best to take legal action as soon as possible, since it will allow your attorney to interview witnesses and gather evidence while the event is still fresh in everyone’s minds.
Our law firm will work to get you all that you are owed after a drunk driving crash, including:
- Medical costs such as emergency room treatment, follow-up appointments, physical therapy, and nursing care
- Lost income resulting from your inability to return to work or earn a living in the future
- Property damage costs such as vehicle repair or replacement
- Pain and suffering damages for your mental anguish, scarring or disfigurement, or permanent disability due to the actions of a negligent driver
- Punitive damages to punish the drunk driver for their willful and reckless behavior
Contact Browning Law Firm Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a family member has been injured in a DUI crash in Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Navarre, Crestview, Niceville, or anywhere in the Florida Panhandle, contact us today at (850) 344-1736 for a free initial consultation. Our experienced accident team will investigate the accident, identify all possible liable parties, and get you the compensation you need to recover—and we do not collect any fees until your case is won.