Some people think that, just because they were in a car accident in Florida, they’re automatically entitled to damages. This isn’t the case. You can only get damages for injuries you’ve actually suffered. This means you need a skilled Fort Walton Beach car accident lawyer to prove your case. They'll work hard to prove that the other driver was at fault. They’ll also try to negotiate a settlement of your case with the insurance company.
You Need to Follow Certain Steps After Your Florida Car Accident if You Expect to Recover Damages
If you get into a car accident in Fort Walton Beach, there are a few things you need to do. Your Florida car accident lawyer is going to have to do two things to get you the compensation you deserve. First, they need to prove the other driver was at fault. Second, they need to prove that you were injured. In order to do these two things, they’re going to need you to follow the below guidelines.
The last thing you want to do is make your attorney’s job harder. Here are some of the things you need to do immediately after your crash:
• Call the police. They’ll come out and do an investigation of the accident scene. They’ll check to see if either of the drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
• Seek medical treatment immediately. Even if you’re busy and trying to get a lot done, you still need to go to the hospital.
• Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach. They’ll deal with the insurance company on your behalf. They’ll also work hard to negotiate a settlement of your accident claim.
You’ll Have to Prove Negligence to Win Your Case in Fort Walton Beach
Your truck accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach is going to work hard to get you as much money as possible. You’ll be entitled to damages if you can prove two things. First, you need to show that the delivery driver caused the crash. This means you’ll have to prove negligence. In order to do that, you’ll need to show:
• The defendant owed you a duty of care – This isn’t difficult. All drivers owe other people on the road a duty of care. This applies even more so to a commercial driver. Since they drive for a living, they owe a certain duty of care. This includes that they follow all traffic rules. They’re also required to follow all federal guidelines about hours and miles logged along with truck maintenance.
• They breached this duty – If you can show that the delivery driver didn’t drive the way they should have, you may be able to collect damages.
• You were injured – You have to actually be injured in order to file a legal claim. Your attorney can only recover for injuries you actually experienced. This is why it’s so important that you go to the hospital after your crash.
• The breach caused your injuries – This shouldn’t be difficult to prove either. Your Fort Walton Beach lawyer will show that your injuries were directly caused by the defendant’s breach.
What are the Major Types of Damages Your Fort Walton Beach Car Accident Lawyer Can Demand?
If you do suffer serious injuries, you’ll be entitled to damages. These damages include the following:
• Medical Bills: You’ll be entitled to compensation for any medical bills you accrue as a result of your injuries.
• Lost Wages: If your injuries are serious, you’ll be out of work for a while. Your Florida injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for any lost time.
• Property Damage: Obviously, if you have personal property damaged in the accident, you can demand money to cover the repairs or replacement of this property.
• Pain and Suffering: If you’re hurt bad, you will experience a lot of pain and suffering. You can demand that you be compensated for this as well.
Your car accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, Florida will negotiate to get you as much money as possible.
What Kind of Injuries Will You Suffer in Your Car Accident?
Some people are lucky and escape a car accident with just a few bumps and bruises. Other people end up in the hospital for days or even weeks. It depends on how serious your injuries are.
Some of the injuries you may suffer include:
• Lacerations – If you hit the windshield, you may end up with scratches and cuts on your face and neck. Or, your seatbelt may cut your shoulders or chest. Usually, these injuries can be treated easily and they’ll heal in no time.
• Broken Bones – While they may sound very serious, broken bones are actually very minor injuries. Unless you break your neck, escaping an Indiana car accident with just a broken arm or leg can be a blessing. If treated properly, these injuries will heal just fine.
• Bruises and Contusions – Most people don’t escape a car accident without at least some bumps and bruises. While these may hurt and appear unsightly, they aren’t serious and don’t require hospitalization or surgery.
• Traumatic brain injury – This type of injury is caused when you suffer a severe blow to the head. This happens when your head hits the dashboard. It can also happen if you get ejected from the car.
• Spinal cord injury -Many people who suffer a spinal cord injury end up paralyzed. If this is the case, you’ll be entitled to significant damages.
• Broken neck - If you do get ejected from the car, there’s the possibility that you’ll break your neck. This will most likely require surgery and long-term physical therapy.
• Facial disfigurement – If you go through the windshield or get burned in the accident, you may end up with facial disfigurement. This will require several cosmetic surgeries to repair. It can also be very painful.
• Back injuries – Many car accident victims in Florida suffer back injuries. This can include disc issues or muscle problems. People who suffer back injuries are usually out of work for quite some time.
If you only suffer minor injuries, there’s a good chance your insurance claim will be approved. Insurance adjusters are more likely to approve a claim for a lower amount than if you suffer very serious injuries.
Why Would Your Car Insurance Claim Be Denied?
If you get into a serious car accident in Fort Walton Beach, there is a chance the insurance company may deny your claim. The larger the claim, the more likely it is that this can happen. Insurance companies figure there’s a good chance they can settle the claim for less money down the road.
Some of the reasons your claim could be denied include the following:
there are reasons why your claim may be denied, including:
• The policy isn’t valid or lapsed for non-payment
• The vehicle was not listed on the defendant’s insurance policy
• The insurance adjuster doesn’t believe you were injured
• They believe the accident was your fault
• They think you’re exaggerating your injuries
• You have a history of filing claims
• Your claim is very expensive and they think they can settle for less down the road
Your car accident lawyer in Florida will work to settle your case. They’ll reach out to the insurance adjuster and see if they’re willing to resolve the matter out of court. Nobody wants to go to trial. They’re expensive and time consuming. It’s in everyone’s best interest to settle the case.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach Right Away
If you or your loved one are injured in any sort of accident, you’re going to be angry. The first thing you need to do is make sure you’re okay. Get the medical treatment you need before you worry about suing anyone. However, once you know you’re okay, you need to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.
Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. They’ll also prepare your case in the event that your claim isn’t paid by the insurance company. They’ll also gather the evidence necessary to prove the defendant was at fault. Just be patient as it could take a few months longer than you may expect.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you win or settle your case. The defendant is going to have a team of lawyers working for them. You need to have a skilled car accident attorney working for you too. You shouldn’t be left holding the bag if the accident wasn’t your fault. The defendant needs to be held responsible for their reckless and negligent behavior. Your Fort Walton Beach injury attorney will make sure that happens.