If you live in the Northeast, you’re quickly approaching that time of year when it gets cold and the snow starts to fall. In fact, there have already been some snow storms up north. But, living in Florida, you don’t have to worry about that. However, this doesn’t mean that you’re not exposed to other sorts of dangerous conditions.
You could be out doing your weekly errands and end up falling and getting hurt. You could fall in a parking lot. Or, you could be at the movie theater and slip on a spilled soda. There’s no telling what could happen. If you slip and fall, no matter where it happens, you’re probably going to suffer some sort of injury. This means you’re going to need medical treatment. This can be expensive. If someone else is responsible for your fall, then they should be held liable. Your Crestview personal injury lawyer can make sure that happens.
A lot of people get embarrassed when they fall out in public. They want to just get up and pretend it never happened. The problem is that, if you do this, you’re not going to be able to file a claim against the defendant. In fact, most companies have policies when it comes to accidents that take place on their premises. If you don’t report it immediately, they’ll deny your claim. This is why it’s so important that you report your accident right away. If you have someone with you, let them go get the manager or supervisor. Don’t move. If you get up, they can claim that you injured yourself worse by moving. So, even if it means that you never step foot in that store again, so be it. The most important thing is that you take care of yourself and protect your rights.
You Could Slip and Fall at a Department Store
When you’re out shopping, you have to be careful you don’t suffer a slip and fall. With so many people in the stores, people spill things or knock things off the shelves. There aren’t enough staff in the stores to really keep up with these things. This means you could trip on something and get seriously injured.
Some of the more common injuries associated with a slip and fall include:
- Back injuries – this is the most common type of injury suffered in a fall. The problem is, when you hurt your back, you’ll be totally out of commission. You won’t be able to walk or drive. You’ll probably be out of work for a few weeks or even months. This adds up. The defendant will be liable for these kinds of damages. Your Crestview personal injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for medical bills and lost wages.
- Knee injuries – When you fall, you may brace yourself by falling to your knees. This can cause serious damage to your knees. You could dislocate it or tear a ligament. You may even need knee surgery. This will be painful and will require long-term physical therapy.
- Wrist and Ankle Injuries – While these injuries usually heal over time, that doesn’t mean it won’t impact your life. You’ll need to take it easy while you heal. Your personal injury lawyer in Florida will make sure you’re compensated for this pain and suffering.
You Could Fall at the Movie Theater
This time of year, a lot of new movies come out. If you and your friends want to go out to see a movie, do it. You just want to be careful when you go. It may sound silly, but when you imagine all of the drinks, popcorn and candy consumed in a movie theater, there’s bound to be something you can slip or trip on. Just watch where you’re going.
If you do slip on either popcorn butter or soda, stay down. Most people don’t go to the movies alone. Let your friend or relative go get a manager. You’ll also want them to take pictures of your fall. They can take pictures of whatever was spilled. They can also take pictures of your footwear so the defendant can’t claim that the fall was your fault.
The defendant is going to do whatever they can to push the blame back on you. You have to work equally as hard to prove that the injury was not your fault. Your Crestview personal injury lawyer will do this for you once they have your claim. But, it’s important that you preserve any evidence so they have a realistic shot at winning your case.
If the owner of the theater denies your claim, your personal injury lawyer in Florida will try to negotiate a settlement. Most movie theaters don’t want the negative press that comes along with a slip and fall. They should be eager to settle your claim. If they don’t, your attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. They’ll make sure the defendant is held liable for your damages.
What Kinds of Damages Can Your Crestview Personal Injury Lawyer Demand?
If you get injured in any kind of slip and fall, your Crestview personal injury lawyer is going to demand damages. Some of these include:
- Medical Bills: The defendant will have to cover any medical bills that you experience as a result of your fall. This could include hospital bills, prescription fees and the money to lease durable medical equipment. It also includes any future medical care you’re going to need. Your doctor can testify as to what kind of future care you do need. This could be anything from physical therapy to multiple surgeries. It depends on what kind of injury you suffer.
- Lost Wages: If you are out of work for at least a couple of weeks, you’ll be entitled to lost wages. Your personal injury attorney in Crestview, Florida will show proof of how much time you’ve missed. The defendant and their insurance company will have to cover these lost wages.
- Permanent Disability: If you can no longer work as a result of your injuries, you’ll end up on permanent disability. You can demand the difference in income on disability when compared to what you would’ve earned working full-time. If you’re young, these damages could be quite significant.
- Pain and Suffering: If you experience a great deal of pain and suffering due to your injuries, your attorney will demand compensation. These damages may make up a lion’s share of your damages. It really depends on how bad your injuries were. To prove these damages, your attorney will rely on some of the following types of evidence:
- Testimony from you about your pain and suffering
- Proof that you can no longer work or drive
- Pictures of what you could do before the accident compared to now
- Evidence that you can no longer enjoy social events the way you used to
- Any other evidence that shows how bad your pain and suffering were
The amount of your damages depends on how serious your injuries are. If you are left in a wheelchair and aren’t able to work again, your damages will be higher. If you only suffer a broken wrist, don’t expect to get much more than coverage for your medical bills. Your Crestview personal injury attorney can only get you money for the injuries you’ve actually suffered. Their job is to make you whole. It’s not to make you rich.
Trust that your Crestview personal injury attorney will work hard to get you as much as possible. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while they handle the legal side of things. They’ll do what they can to make sure the defendant is held responsible for the injury they’ve caused you.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Crestview, Florida
If you or your loved one are injured in any sort of accident, you’re going to be angry. The first thing you need to do is make sure you’re okay. Get the medical treatment you need before you worry about suing anyone. However, once you know you’re okay, you need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Crestview, Florida.
Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. They’ll also prepare your case in the event that your claim isn’t paid by the insurance company. They’ll also gather the evidence necessary to prove the defendant was at fault.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you win or settle your case. The defendant is going to have a team of lawyers working for them. You need to have a skilled personal injury attorney working for you too. You shouldn’t be left holding the bag if the accident wasn’t your fault. The defendant needs to be held responsible for their reckless behavior. Your attorney will make sure that happens.