It’s that time of year. Everyone’s making New Year’s resolutions. Sure, most people don’t keep them and break the within a week or two. However, there are a few things you can do this year that will help protect your legal interests.
In the course of a year, there’s a lot that can happen to you. You could get into a car accident in Crestview, Florida. You could fall while doing your grocery shopping at the local market. You could even get hurt at work. There’s no telling exactly what you may go through.
Knowing this, it’s important that you do a few things. First, you want to make sure you have the number of an experienced personal injury lawyer in Crestview, Florida. Second, you need to know what steps to take if you do get into a car accident. And, finally, you need to understand what your rights are should you suffer a personal injury.
This article will go over what you need to do to protect yourself this year. If you have any questions, it’s a good idea to call and talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer in Crestview, Florida.
What Should You Really Do if You Get into a Car Crash in Florida?
If you do get into a car accident in Crestview, Florida, there are a few things you need to know. This isn’t something our parents teach us when we’re growing up. They make sure we have an emergency kit in the trunk. They may even teach you how to change a tire. But they never think to tell you what steps you need to take if you get into a car crash.
Here are the basic steps to follow immediately after a car accident in Crestview:
• Call the police. They’ll come out and do an investigation of the accident scene. They’ll check to see if either of the drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They’ll also check to make sure the drivers provide valid insurance and license information. Finally, they’ll provide you with a police report with all of the details of their investigation.
• Seek medical treatment immediately. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, you still need to go to the hospital. The police will arrange for an ambulance if you’re not able to get there on your own. It’s important that your Crestview car accident lawyer have proof that you were hurt. The best way to do this is with your medical records.
• Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Crestview. Even if the accident seems minor, your insurance claim could still be denied. If this happens, you’re going to need a skilled car accident lawyer.
If you follow these guidelines, you’ll give your Crestview car accident lawyer the best chance to get you the compensation you deserve. As long as they have the police report and medical records, you’ll have a good chance at recovery. If you don’t do these basic things, you’re going to make your lawyer’s job a lot harder than it has to be.
Don’t Be Afraid to File a Homeowner’s Claim if You Get Hurt at a Friend or Neighbor’s House
A lot of people are afraid to file a claim if they get hurt at a friend or neighbor’s house. For example, if you go to a party at your next-door neighbors, you could trip and get hurt. Or, they could have a chair that breaks and you fall and hurt your back.
Most people tell their Florida injury lawyer that they don’t want to file a claim against someone they know. They're afraid they’ll ruin a friendship or relationship. What they don’t realize is these claims are not really filed against your friend directly. They’re actually filed against their homeowner’s insurance policy. The only chance you’d have of suing your friend is if the insurance company refuses to pay the claim.
Your neighbor’s homeowner’s policy should cover your damages. Your Crestview personal injury lawyer will help you file a claim against this policy. Ideally, your claim will be paid and there will be no need for further legal action. But, if your claim is denied, your lawyer will have no choice but to file suit. A Lawsuit is the Last Resort.
Your personal injury lawyer in Florida understands that the last thing you want to do is sue your neighbor. Unfortunately, if their insurance company refuses to pay your claim, they’ll have no choice. It’s not fair for you to be left holding the bag if the injuries weren’t your fault. Your Crestview personal injury attorney understands this.
The thing you need to understand is that someone needs to cover your damages. It doesn’t really matter who pays them. When you file suit, it will be against both your neighbor and their insurance company. Odds are, your neighbor won’t be held personally responsible for your damages.
The insurance company is responsible for defending your neighbor in this lawsuit. If you win your case, they’ll probably be the one to pay your damages. You don’t have to feel so terrible about filing suit against your neighbor. That’s why they pay for insurance.
Know What You’re Entitled to When it Comes to Damages
No matter what type of accident you’re in, you’ll probably suffer some injuries. This means you may be entitled to compensation. Your attorney will fight to get you as much money as possible.
Your Crestview personal injury attorney is going to demand the following when it comes to damages:
• Medical Bills: You’ll be entitled to compensation for any medical bills you accrue as a result of the accident. This includes things like ambulance ride bills, prescription medications and copays. It also includes future medical bills. Your doctor can testify as to what kind of treatment you’ll need in the future. This will be included in your demand for damages.
• Lost Wages: If your injuries are serious, you’ll be out of work for a while. Your Crestview injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for any lost time. They can prove this using time sheets and payroll records.
• Property Damage: Obviously, if any of your personal property is damaged in the crash, you can demand money to cover the repairs. If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident and your vehicle is destroyed, you’re entitled to buy a new one. The defendant needs to be liable for this.
• Pain and Suffering: If you’re hurt bad, you will experience a lot of pain and suffering. You can demand that you be compensated for this as well. For example, if you can no longer play sports because of your injury, this would be included in pain and suffering. So are damages for the physical and mental anguish caused by the accident.
Your Crestview accident lawyer is going to fight to get you as much money as possible. But, in order to do so, they’ll need to prove your damages.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you or your loved one are injured this holiday season, you need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Crestview, Florida. They'll review your case and let you know if you have a case. They can also give you an idea of what your case might be worth.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. The consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case. This gives you a chance to sit down and ask any questions you may have. Your attorney can also give you an idea of whether or not they think you’ll have to file suit against your friend or neighbor.
Ideally, you won’t have to worry about something like this happening to you. But you never know. It gives you peace of mind to know that, if something does happen, you have a whole team of skilled attorneys here to help. The defendant will have a whole team of lawyers there to help them. You don’t want to try to handle something like this on your own. There’s too much at a risk to try to go up against a large company by yourself. Let an experienced personal injury attorney from Crestview help.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. Let your Crestview injury lawyer handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting better.