Your Guide to Slip and Fall Accidents and What An Attorney Can Do
Personal injury cases often involve slip and fall accidents. People slip and fall every day. Sometimes it is just a silly accident that is nobody’s fault but our own. Maybe we trip over a curb or kid’s toy. Perhaps you bang your head on your bureau and get a bump on your head. These aren’t the types of slip and falls we are talking about. For personal injury cases, we are referring to slip and falls that are caused by somebody else.
Sometimes, a slip and fall is caused by an individual. Some common examples are:
- A neighbor leaves their bike laying on the sidewalk and you trip and fall
- Your friend spills something slippery on her kitchen floor and you fall
Often, a slip and fall is the fault of a company or employer. We see this a lot. Here are some examples of common slip and fall accidents:
- A store doesn’t shovel their sidewalk and you fall on ice or snow
- A department store has a spilled display of a product and it causes you to fall
- A restaurant doesn’t clean up condensation from a leaking ceiling vent
- A movie theater has a row of broken seats and you fall and hurt your back
There is no limit to the examples of slip and fall accidents. The important thing is that you understand how they happen and who may be responsible. Sometimes, you think an individual is responsible and find out you are wrong. This is why you really need a slip and fall lawyer.
Commons Slip and Fall Injuries in Crestview, FL
Slip and fall accidents may seem minor. However, they can lead to some pretty serious injuries. Depending on how hard you fall and where you land, you could get really hurt. Some of the most common types of slip and fall injuries are:
- Neck injuries
- Cuts and bruises
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Strains and sprains
- Head injuries
- Back injuries
Back injuries may be the most common type of slip and fall injury. Because of the nature of the accident, many people end up hurting their back. People may suffer herniated or slipped discs. They could even suffer a spinal cord injury if the fall is serious enough. Injuries like this can be life changing.
Even the less serious types of injuries often require medical care. It is important that you not refuse medical treatment if you fall. It's important that you go to the hospital regardless. You can never be sure of how bad your injuries are. You also want to document your injuries for legal purposes.
Many types of slip and fall injuries can affect your life dramatically. You may have to get surgery or require physical therapy. You might not be able to drive. You may not be able to walk. Many people miss a lot of time from work due to slip and fall injuries. All of these things count as damages.
You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been in a slip and fall, you want to call a personal injury lawyer. You are going to need a lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve. Whether your attorney pursues an insurance company or lawsuit depends on your case.
Your attorney first needs to determine who he is going to pursue. This may include a person, a company, an insurance company or even the city. Here are some different scenarios you may face:
- If you fall on a neighbor’s sidewalk, you may have to file a claim with their homeowner’s insurance company
- If you fall at a store with a spill, you will want to sue the department store and corporate office. You may even have a claim against their cleaning company.
- Cities and municipalities are required to maintain clear roads. If you slip and fall in a state parking lot that wasn’t treated, you will have a claim. You can pursue the city, county, state, and the company that is supposed to clear the lot.
- If you fall and get hurt at work, you will have a claim against a couple parties. You will want to consider a workers’ compensation claim. You may also want to pursue the janitorial service, corporate, and any other negligent party.
All of these cases can get very complicated. That is why it’s important that you have a personal injury lawyer. They know how to handle these cases. They have decades of experience in personal injury cases. They will identify the parties and the claims that need to be filed. They will gather the evidence to prove your case.
Contact a Crestview Personal Injury Attorney
If you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you want to call a personal injury attorney. There are experienced Crestview personal injury attorneys ready to take your case. Call and schedule for free initial consultation. You can ask your attorney any questions you may have. He can give you an idea of how strong your case is. He can even give you an idea of what your case may be worth.
The insurance companies have attorneys working for them. You want to have an attorney working hard for you too. You are no match for an insurance company. They will eat you for breakfast if you’re not careful.
Get the peace of mind you need by contact a personal injury attorney now. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until they win your case.