After an automobile accident, what can I do to protect my interests?
- Report the incident immediately to the police.
- Witnesses should be identified by name, address, and telephone number.
- If you require medical treatment, clearly explain, as best you can, how the accident happened. Also, be sure to give your doctors a truthful description of the accident and inform them of all prior related injuries.
- You have no obligation to cooperate with the insurance company of the person who caused the accident. This includes recorded statements and other information about the accident.
- If you have suffered any personal injury such as lacerations, burns, or bruising, it is important to take photos of them as well as the bandages or braces that were placed. This documentation is imperative in establishing your injuries.
- Gather all insurance policies to be reviewed by an attorney in order to determine the full extent of your coverage.