Slip and fall accidents can result in serious injuries. Some of the most severe accidents occur on stairs and can be caused by a variety of factors. These accidents can often be prevented, but property owners do not always take the necessary precautions to ensure that the stairs they’re responsible for are safe and free from hazards. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident on a stairway, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Contact a Florida premise liability lawyer as soon as possible to protect your legal rights and possible recovery.
Where Stair Accidents Happen and Why
There are many buildings and locations that are built with stairs, and whenever people use them, accidents can happen. These places include:
- Apartment or condominium buildings
- Retail stores
- Parking garages
- Office buildings
Whether people are ascending or descending a set of stairs, accidents can happen. There are many reasons for these accidents, including:
- Handrails that are broken or missing completely. Handrails are used to help people keep their balance when walking up or down stairs. If a handrail is missing or broken and there is nothing to hold onto, it can cause a fall and result in an injury.
- Loose carpet or tile. Carpet or tile can cover the surface of steps and can become damaged or unsecured. This can cause a person’s shoes to get caught and result in a fall.
- Improper step design. If the steps are designed with improper height or width or are uneven, it can cause a person to fall and become injured.
- Clutter or debris. Stairways should be kept free of clutter and debris to ensure the safety of all who use them. Excess clutter on a set of stairs makes it difficult for people to navigate and poses a risk for a trip and fall. If ice, water, or grease is not cleaned up, it can create slippery spots and cause a fall.
- Inadequate lighting. Poorly lit stairways are a major cause of concern. Inadequate lighting makes it hard to see the steps in front of you while walking up and down and can lead to accidents.
What to Do After a Stairway Accident
If you were injured in a stairway accident, there are several things to do to help ensure you receive fair compensation should you pursue a personal injury claim. It is important to seek immediate medical attention right away, no matter how minor your injuries may seem. In addition, you should:
- Report the accident to the manager or owner of the property.
- Gather evidence from the scene of the accident such as taking photos of the steps and pictures of your injuries.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses who saw your fall.
- Contact a premises liability lawyer to determine if you have a personal injury case.
An experienced lawyer will negotiate on your behalf, deal with insurance companies, and help calculate the amount of your claim. You may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Contact a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
If you suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident in a stairway, contact Browning Law Firm for a free, no-obligation consultation. To schedule an appointment, fill out our online contact form, or call us at 850-344-1736.