Broken ribs are a serious type of injury that can result from a slip and fall accident. Some rib injuries may seem minor but can lead to more serious complications. If you suffer a broken or injured rib in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Our slip and fall lawyer explains what to do if your injury resulted in a broken rib.
Broken Rib Signs and Complications
There are numerous ways a rib can be injured or broken, including a fall or trauma to your chest and rib cage. The following signs may indicate a broken or injured rib:
- Shortness of breath
- Pain when breathing
Rib Injury Complications
- Internal organ damage
- Abdominal injury
- Injury to the liver or spleen
- Collapsed lung
A broken rib cannot be repaired by surgery or other medical treatments. It requires rest and can take a long time to heal, and the recovery can be agonizing and painful. Additionally, it may not be easy to work or do other activities while your rib is healing. While many rib injuries will get better over time and not cause long-term problems, there are some that are severe and can lead to more serious issues such as pneumonia. Some rib injuries are even fatal.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Rib Injury
There are several steps to take after a slip and fall rib injury to protect your right to compensation. These include:
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if your rib injury seems minor. You will want to follow up with any medical appointments or care related to the injury.
- Report the slip and fall accident and your injury to the manager or property owner where the accident occurred.
- Take photos of the location of your fall and the cause of the accident. If possible, obtain video from the establishment or witnesses to the accident. This can be used to support your claim and prove negligence.
- Obtain contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact Browning Law Firm to discuss your case and possible claim.
Proving Liability and Recovering Damages for a Slip and Fall
A lawyer can help prove liability for a slip and fall rib injury. If the fall was due to a property owner’s negligence, you are entitled to file a claim to recover damages. You will need to show that the owner or property manager did not take the proper precautions or use care to prevent the accident from happening. An experienced Florida slip and fall lawyer will determine the cause of your accident and who can be held responsible for your rib injury. They will also:
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Determine the value of your claim
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and fight to ensure you get a fair settlement
- Represent you in court if your case is not settled with the insurance company
Potential Recoverable Damages
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Out-of-pocket costs associated with the injury
- Pain and suffering
Don’t wait to contact a lawyer because Florida has a four-year statute of limitations for filing a claim. Hiring a lawyer as soon as possible will help ensure you file the claim within that time limit and the claim is filed correctly. If you don’t file within those four years, any later claim will be dismissed by the court, and you will not be able to recover compensation for damages.
Contact Our Florida Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you suffered a broken rib in a Florida slip and fall accident, contact Browning Law Firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation. We can help you navigate the legal process and determine recoverable damages. There are never any legal fees unless we win your case. To schedule an appointment, fill out our online contact form, or call us at 850-344-1736.