Coy H. Browning
Connect with me
Coy H. Browning has recovered millions of dollars for his clients in jury verdicts and settlements.

If you were recently involved in a car accident in Florida and notice an error on the police report, you might wonder "can a police report be changed after an accident?" or "how to correct it?". While police do their best to ensure the report is as accurate as possible, unintentional errors can still happen. An experienced car accident attorney can guide you through the process of having corrections made to a police report through the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP). Changing a police report

Making Simple Corrections

If there are simple changes to the police report, such as correcting your name's spelling or a date, this can be done by calling the police station and talking to the officer who filed the police report. This type of change is simple and can commonly be done without an issue. Only law enforcement can make changes to the police report; you will not be able to alter a report yourself. It is important to have your attorney review the police report following an accident to ensure that it is written accurately.

Reasons to Request an Amendment to the Police Report

There are a number of reasons why you should request an amendment to your police report following a car accident. Perhaps the officer made a mistake when recording the details of the accident, or maybe important information was left out entirely. In either case, an accurate police report is essential for filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit—so it's important to make sure that everything is correct.

How to Request a Police Report Amendment in Florida

The process for requesting an amendment will vary depending on which county you live in. In some instances, you can fill out a form and submit it online. In other cases, you may need to appear in person at your local FHP office. Whichever method is required, be sure to follow all instructions carefully, and include any supporting documentation that may be needed.

If the FHP denies your request for an amendment—or if you're otherwise dissatisfied with their response—you may need to contact an attorney.  An experienced car accident lawyer can review your case and help you understand your legal options moving forward.

Contact Our Florida Car Accident Lawyer

If you need an amendment to a police report after a car accident, contact Browning Law Firm for a free, no-obligation consultation. We can help you navigate the legal process and work to get the amendment made. There are never any legal fees unless we win your case. To schedule an appointment, fill out our online contact form, or call us at 850-344-1736


Join The Conversation
Post A Comment