A wrongful death lawsuit won’t bring back your loved one or undo the irreparable damage that’s been done to your family. Yet, there are potential benefits to pursuing a wrongful death case that you shouldn’t ignore.
Wrongful Death Compensation
Successful wrongful death cases may result in recoveries for your loved one’s estate and surviving relatives.
Your loved one’s estate may recover for:
- Lost income. Any wages, benefits, bonuses, or income from self-employment that your loved one would have reasonably been expected to earn from the time of the accident until the end of your loved one’s estimated life expectancy had there not been an accident should be part of the estate’s recovery.
- Loss of other financial contributions to the estate. This could include, for example, the loss of future investments.
- Medical and funeral expenses paid by the estate.
Additionally, surviving family members may recover for:
- The support and services your loved one provided to surviving family members
- Loss of companionship, guidance, and protection that your loved one provided to surviving family members
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Medical or funeral expenses that any surviving family member paid because of the accident and resulting death
However, before anyone recovers damages, you must prove that the defendant you name in the wrongful death case is legally responsible for your loved one’s death.
Take Action Today to Protect a Wrongful Death Recovery
Even if someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s death, they won’t automatically pay for wrongful death damages. Instead, the personal representative of your loved one’s estate must pursue a wrongful death recovery before the Florida wrongful death statute of limitations expires.
If your claim is successful, wrongful death damages will be shared among your loved one’s heirs who may include your loved one’s spouse, children, parents, and blood relatives or adopted siblings who were financially dependent on your loved one.
There are a lot of complicated factors that go into the financial calculation of your wrongful death recovery. Call an experienced Florida wrongful death attorney today for a free consultation about your potential compensation and what you can do to protect your family’s rights.