It is important to talk through all the details of your motorcycle accident and injuries with a qualified attorney before accepting any settlement. Your motorcycle accident lawyer can help you understand your case’s nuances, advise on what kind of compensation is likely to be available, and assess if the insurance company is offering a fair amount.
Questions to Discuss Before Accepting a Settlement
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports there are more than eight million motorcycles registered in the U.S., and there were over 5,500 motorcycle accident fatalities in 2020. Because you need a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer if you’re injured in a motorcycle crash, you should research the best attorneys in your area, and ask some important questions when you meet them. This will help you get the results you want and ensure you find the right attorney for you.
Important Questions to Ask an Attorney
- How can I know the future impact of my injuries? Your attorney should help you understand the potential long-term consequences of your injuries to determine if the proposed settlement is fair and appropriate, given your circumstances.
- What damages can I recover? In Florida, you may be able to recover damages such as medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and more.
- Why is the insurance company pressuring me to settle my case quickly? The insurance company may be pressuring you to settle quickly because they know if you have strong evidence of liability and damages, your settlement could be larger than anticipated. They want to pay you the least amount of compensation possible and will try to get you to settle before involving an attorney.
- How strong is the evidence in my case? This may include police and medical reports, photos of the accident scene, and testimony from witnesses. An attorney will gather this evidence and ensure it is strong enough to win your case.
- Does the defendant have the resources/insurance coverage to pay my damages? The defendant must have the financial resources or insurance coverage to pay out any damages awarded from the case. If this is not the case, the defendant's assets may need to be seized to pay damages.
- What other options do I have? It is important to explore all available options, including taking the case to court if necessary. Your attorney should provide guidance on which strategies may be most beneficial for you in the long term.
- What is the timeline for my case? It can be difficult to predict how long a Florida motorcycle accident injury claim will take to settle, but understanding the expected timeline can help you decide whether to accept a settlement offer. Your attorney should be able to guide you on the expected timeline for your case.
- What is the extent of my legal fees? Be sure to discuss with your attorney how much they will charge in legal fees before accepting a Florida motorcycle accident injury settlement, so you know exactly what to expect.
Contact Browning Law Firm Today
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, consult Browning Law Firm today. We can determine what damages you are entitled to and will fight for a fair settlement. There are never any legal fees unless we win your case. To schedule an appointment, fill out our convenient online contact form, or call our office at (850) CALL-COY.