If you have been injured and are unable to work due to a drunk driving accident, you should consult with an attorney about pursuing a claim in civil court. You may be able to recover compensation for lost wages and future earnings. To recover payment, you will need to prove the at-fault driver was under the influence at the time of the accident. As the victim, you have the burden of proof in a civil case. Lost income after a DUI accident

Calculating Lost Wages and Future Earnings

You may be able to recover damages for any lost income resulting from your inability to return to work or earn a living in the future. These lost wages and earnings are calculated based on various factors such as whether you work full or part-time, make an hourly wage or are paid a salary, and if you work for an employer or are self-employed.

In most drunk driving cases, you are entitled to receive compensation for losses such as:

  • Lost wages. You should be able to recover damages for any income lost due to your injuries as well as any time missed from work as you are being treated or recovering from those injuries. Your employer will be able to provide your rate of pay and earnings.
  • Sick leave and vacation pay. If you have taken sick leave or vacation pay as you recover from the accident, you can claim those days as lost income.
  • Bonuses. You can be compensated for a bonus you did not receive if you can show that had you not been injured, you would have received that financial compensation.
  • Self-employment. Showing lost income when you are self-employed can be a challenge. You will need to show your last tax return as well as prove how much time you lost at work and your potential earnings. You may need to provide evidence such as a job schedule or appointments and invoices.
  • Future earnings. If you cannot return to work or perform the job you had at the time of injury, you can claim a loss for future earnings. This will be based off of your current pay with a projection of what you would have earned in the future.

Contact a Florida Attorney

As a former State Trooper, Attorney Coy Browning has experience in DUI arrests and knows what is needed to prove liability in a drunk driving case. If you were injured in a drunk driving accident, contact Browning Law Firm. There are never any legal fees unless you receive compensation for your case. To set up a free, no obligation consultation, fill out our convenient contact form online, or call our office today.