Florida Truck Insurance Requirements
The amount of liability insurance coverage for trucks depends on the type of materials being carried. There is minimum liability coverage for different types of cargo.
Minimum Liability Coverage
- Household goods require a minimum coverage of $300,000
- General freight requires a minimum coverage of $750,000
- Oil transport requires a minimum coverage of $1.000,000
- Hazardous materials require a minimum coverage of $5,000,000
The insurance requirements also depend on whether the truck operates within the boundaries of Florida or the interstate. If a driver travels out of state, they must carry the amount of liability insurance set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The amount can vary depending on the size of the truck and the type of cargo being transported.
FMCSA Minimum Requirements
- $300,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles under 10,001 pounds
- $750,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles over 10,0001 pounds
- $1,000,000 for oil carried by for-hire and private carriers
- $5,000,000 for hazardous materials
Understanding the minimum liability insurance requirements is important to drivers and companies in the event that there is an accident that results in damages beyond the minimum amount of coverage. In cases where the damages are higher, the company or driver may be responsible for the additional amount. This can also affect the victim of a truck accident and whoever is found liable for any damages that result from the accident.
How a Florida Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
It is important to seek medical attention after a Florida truck accident and seek legal advice, as well. An attorney will help determine who is liable for your injuries and the value of your case. They’ll also help you recover fair compensation.
- Medical expenses related to the accident
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
If you have been injured in a Florida truck accident, contact Browning Law Firm for a free, no-obligation consultation. There are never any legal fees unless we win your case. To schedule an appointment, fill out our online contact form, or call us at 850-344-1736.