If you were involved in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident in Florida, you may have questions about the steps to take for obtaining compensation for your injuries. An experienced attorney can guide you through the process to ensure your rights are protected and you receive fair compensation for any damages, even if the hit-and-run driver is never identified. Motorcycle hit-and-run accidents

What to Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident

If you’re injured in a motorcycle hit-and-run crash, there are steps you can take to give yourself the best chance of a physical and financial recovery after the accident, including:

  • Seek immediate medical attention. Even though you may feel disheartened seeing the at-fault party drive away from the scene, it’s important to call 911 and get medical help for all injured parties.
  • Try to get the license plate number. Try to remember as much about the fleeing car as you can, but attempt to get the license number. As the at-fault party drives away, look at the license plate and say the number over and over aloud until you are able to write it down. Even obtaining a partial plate number can help police.
  • Speak with witnesses. After a hit-and-run accident, witnesses are especially important. Other people may recall details about the crash that you don’t remember or didn’t see. Be sure to get the contact information of these witnesses.
  • Contact a car accident attorney. Obtaining legal representation is your best chance of getting compensation for your injuries and damages.

After a hit-and-run, what you should not do is follow the fleeing vehicle. Trying to follow the hit-and-run driver is never a good idea, even if you feel you’re uninjured and capable of driving. You may not realize the extent of your injuries and could ultimately cause another crash.

Obtaining Compensation for Damages

When you’re injured in a car accident, victims typically file a personal injury claim against the insurance company of the at-fault party. However, when you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident, you don’t know who the liable party is or the name of their insurance company.

However, hit-and-run injury victims can still file a personal injury claim, even if the at-fault driver is never found. They can do this by filing on their:

  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy. PIP coverage can be purchased as part of your motorcycle insurance policy and may be used for accidents that involve a hit and run. PIP is not required for motorcyclists in Florida; however, if you have PIP as part of your motorcycle insurance policy, it can be used to reimburse you for medical treatment expenses and any transportation costs that you may have resulting from the accident. PIP covers a percentage of your costs but may not cover all of your expenses.
  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UIM). In Florida, UIM is not required as part of your insurance policy in Florida but is an option you may have chosen to add on as a supplement for an additional fee. UIM may be used to help pay for injuries resulting from a hit-and-run accident. When the at-fault driver of your accident can’t be identified, they will be treated as an uninsured motorist that is responsible for the injuries you sustained from the accident.

Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney

As a former State Trooper, Attorney Coy Browning has seen many motorcycle hit-and-run accidents firsthand. He understands what it needed to investigate your case and get you the compensation you deserve. If you were injured in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident and need legal help, contact Browning Law Firm. To set up a free, no obligation consultation, fill out our online contact form, or call us today.