Losing a loved one due to another person’s negligence can be devastating. You may be unsure about the steps to take to recover damages after your loved one’s death. Hiring a Florida wrongful death lawyer can help ensure you avoid costly mistakes that might put your compensation at risk.
Mistakes to Avoid in Wrongful Death Cases
Filing a wrongful death claim will not bring back your loved one, but it can help give you the financial support your family deserves after an unexpected loss. Thus, you don’t want to make mistakes that can jeopardize your compensation.
Possible Mistakes When Filing for Wrongful Death
- Talking to an insurance company. Soon after your loved one’s death, an insurer may contact you in an attempt to settle the claim as quickly as possible. They may pressure you to agree to a settlement that is lower than the claim is worth. You do not have to speak to the insurance company without consulting with a lawyer.
- Posting about the death on social media. If you speak publicly or post details about the accident that led to your loved one’s death on social media, anything you say or post could be used to try to lower your financial recovery.
- Not contacting a lawyer immediately. If you wait too long to contact a lawyer, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim may expire. In Florida, you have two years after the date of your loved one’s death to file a claim. If you do not file within this timeframe, the court will dismiss your case, and you will not be able to pursue damages. Also, by waiting, valuable evidence may not be preserved. Filing sooner than later helps a lawyer investigate the accident and gather the necessary evidence on your behalf to help prove negligence or wrongful intent.
- Underestimating the value of your case. You may not know what your wrongful death case is worth and accept a low-ball settlement. A lawyer can determine the value of your case and the economic and non-economic damages you are entitled to receive.
- Not using a lawyer for your case. Attempting to settle the case without a lawyer can be a big mistake. A lawyer can advocate for your rights and protect your interests.
When You Need a Florida Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you lost a loved one due to wrongful death in Florida, contact Browning Law Firm as soon as possible for a free, no-obligation consultation. We can help you navigate the legal process and help ensure you receive fair compensation. There are never any legal fees unless we win your case. To schedule an appointment, fill out our online contact form, or call us at 850-344-1736.