Millions of people take Uber to get to work, school or just out for the night. It’s great because it helps cut down on drinking and driving. It’s also a lifesaver for people who don’t drive or can’t afford a car.
In fact, Uber and other rideshare companies may be the best inventions in the last ten years. Lots of riders can get where they’re going for a fair price. Plus, it keeps people who shouldn’t be driving off the road.
A lot of people think that Uber is safe than driving. But you have to remember, Uber drivers aren’t professional drivers. Most Uber drivers do it on the side for some extra money. They work other full-time jobs during the day and drive for Uber on the side. They’re not better drivers – they just do it more often than the rest of us.
No matter how careful they try to be, rideshare drivers still have to deal with the same risks on the road as everyone else. They have to deal with distracted drivers, people who speed and reckless drivers.
Uber drivers are just as likely to get in a crash as anyone else. In fact, they’re at a greater risk because they spend so many hours driving. If you’re the passenger in an Uber, you could very well be injured in a crash.
If you do get hurt in an Uber accident, you’ll need a Crestview Uber accident attorney. Your attorney can negotiate with the driver’s insurance company to get you the compensation you deserve. They’ll also fight to make sure the people responsible for the accident are held accountable. That’s why it’s always a good idea to call an experienced car accident lawyer in Crestview as soon as you’ve been involved in an Uber accident.
Take the Following Steps Following Your Uber Accident
If you get injured in an Uber accident, there are a few things you need to do. The first thing you need to do is go to the hospital. You have to make sure you’re okay. You also want to make sure you protect your legal rights should you need to file suit.
If you do the following after your Uber accident in Florida, you should be in a good position to recover for your injuries:
- Call 911 – You have to call the police if you’re involved in an Uber accident in Crestview. The cops need to file a report showing that the accident happened. They also need to conduct their investigation. They'll prepare a police report that has information your lawyer will need to file your claim. Some of this information includes:
- Description of the accident scene and road conditions
- Names and contact information for any witnesses
- Pictures of the victims, the cars and the scene
- Statements made by the drivers involved
- License and insurance information for all parties involved
- Notes about any tickets or citations issues
- Check to see if anyone’s hurt –If you’re injured, you need to go to the hospital. In fact, even if you don’t think you’re hurt, you need to get checked out. If you’re physically able to, check to see if anyone else on the scene is hurt. If they are, make sure you let the police know. They can arrange to have an ambulance take all of you to the hospital. Once there, the doctors will conduct the tests necessary to see how bad your injuries are. Some of these tests include:
- CT Scans
- Physical Examination
- Take pictures with your phone - Your lawyer is going to need pictures of the accident scene. The cops will take pictures as well. But you’ll want pictures of the cars and the damage to the cars. You also want pictures of the road conditions and accident scene.
- Collect Information – Ask the Uber driver for their insurance information. You’re also going to need the insurance information for the other driver. You may not be sure exactly what happened. This means you may need to file claims against both policies.
- Take screenshots of your Uber information – You want to keep a record of your Uber ride. You can do this by taking a screenshot of your phone with the Uber ride information.
How Can a Florida Personal Injury Attorney Help?
As with any other car accident, you don’t want to handle it alone. A Crestview Uber accident attorney knows the law. They will also fight to protect your rights. They can deal with the insurance adjuster to try to settle your claim. If this doesn’t work, they’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf.
The insurance company isn’t going to take you seriously if you don’t have a lawyer. This may not seem fair, but it’s the truth. They may offer you a low-ball settlement that doesn’t cover your damages. They’ll also ask you to sign a release. Don’t do this. If you do, you can’t go after the defendant for additional money down the road.
Your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance adjusters on your behalf. They’ll try to negotiate a settlement of your claim. If this doesn’t work, they’ll have no choice but to file suit on your behalf. You may have to sue both the driver and Uber.
Keep in mind, Uber may not be liable for your injuries. Since Uber riders are independent contractors, they technically aren’t employees. This means the company isn’t responsible for the crash.
How Common are Uber Accidents?
With so many people depending on Uber, accident lawyers in Florida are seeing a lot more Uber accidents. These accidents are just as dangerous as any other sort of motor vehicle accident.
Since you’re the passenger in the Uber driver’s car, you may not be as seriously hurt as if you were driving. When Uber first started in 2010, fatal accidents had reached their lowest point. However, with so many Uber drivers on the road, these numbers are slowly but surely creeping up.
It’s Difficult to Sue Uber for Your Injuries
Since Uber drivers aren’t technically employees, it’s hard to hold Uber liable for their actions. This includes car accidents. You can pursue the driver though. In fact, you’ll need to file a claim against their insurance policy.
If the driver’s policy doesn’t cover all of your damages, you can file a claim against Uber’s insurance. Uber’s required to maintain insurance in case their drivers’ insurance policies don’t cover accident claims. Their policy carries a minimum of $1 million in coverage. This way, you can rest assured knowing your injuries are going to be covered.
Your insurance claim will include your medical bills and property damage. If you experience mental and physical anguish, your lawyer can demand that you be paid pain and suffering as well. Unless Uber was negligent in who they hired, you probably won’t have a personal injury claim against the company.
Sometimes, people who aren’t riding in an Uber get injured in the crash. A pedestrian could be struck by an Uber driver. Or, you could be a third party who gets hurt with collateral damage. If this is the case, you can still file a claim against the driver’s insurance.
Contact a Crestview Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or your family member have been injured in an Uber accident, you should call an Uber accident lawyer in Crestview, Florida. Your lawyer will fight to make sure the Uber driver is held responsible for the accident. As a passenger in an Uber vehicle, you shouldn’t be left holding the bag.
Call today and schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer. Let them review your case and answer any questions you may have. They can also let you know what your case may be worth.
Your lawyer will also reach out to the insurance adjuster and try to get your claim paid. They'll work hard to negotiate a settlement. Once the insurance company realizes you have a lawyer, they will take you more seriously.
If your claim isn’t paid, your Crestview injury attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. They will name both the driver and Uber in your lawsuit. They’ll also name any other potential defendants. This can include the following parties:
- Other drivers involved in the crash
- The mechanic who serviced the driver’s car
- The manufacturer of the Uber driver’s vehicle
- Any other third party who is responsible for the crash
They'll also continue to try to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company for both the driver and Uber.
Call an experienced Crestview personal injury lawyer today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you don’t pay a dime until you settle your case. The insurance company will have lawyers working for them. You need to have one by your side as well.