Causes of Restaurant Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can occur in a restaurant for many reasons. Often, food or liquid that’s been left on the floor and not cleaned up cause these accidents. Some other common causes of restaurant slip and falls are:
- Uneven sidewalks or walkways
- Poor lighting
- Slick or slippery floors
- Missing or broken handrails
- Unsecured rugs or mats
- Improper signage or warnings of hazards
- Unsafe parking lot conditions
Slip and Fall Injuries and What to Do
Some slip and fall accidents cause minor injuries such as cuts, bruises, or sprains. Others can result in serious injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
If you are hurt because of a slip and fall in a restaurant, you should do the following:
- Report your fall to the restaurant manager. You will need to provide details.
- Seek medical attention. No matter how minor your injury may seem, it is important to seek medical attention for your injury and obtain a copy of the medical report.
- Gather evidence. Take photos or videos of the area where the fall occurred and what may have caused it. Be sure to take the photos or videos before the area is cleaned up or repaired. Talk to witnesses that may have seen the fall, and get their names and contact information.
- Contact an attorney. Talk to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible about what happened. An attorney can help ensure you get the maximum compensation for your damages.
How an Attorney Can Help With Your Case
In Florida, you have four years to file a personal injury claim if you were hurt in a slip and fall accident. In order to have a claim, you must be able to show that the restaurant was negligent and caused your accident. Hiring an attorney is critical to ensure you get the full amount of compensation you deserve.
A personal injury attorney will do the following to help with your case:
- Investigate the accident to determine the cause of your injury
- Show that the restaurant was negligent and did not take the necessary precautions to keep customers safe
- Gather evidence from witnesses and surveillance cameras
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Evaluate the value of your claim
- Represent you if the case goes to court
Damages that you may recover after a slip and fall accident include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident in a Florida restaurant, Browning Law Firm can help get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to set up a complimentary consultation.