Whether you are staying in a hotel for business or pleasure, a slip and fall injury will likely derail your plans. If the slip and fall happened as a result of negligence on the part of the hotel, you may be able to file a personal injury claim.
Slip and Falls in a Hotel
There are a number of places where slip and falls can happen in a hospitality setting, including:
- Stairways. Poor lighting, lack of proper warning signs, or a slippery stair surface can cause people to fall.
- Bathrooms. Tub and shower surfaces are slippery, and there should be grab bars to help prevent a fall.
- Lobbies. Hotel lobbies often have tile or stone flooring that can be slippery.
- Parking lots and parking garages. Parking lots and garages that are not maintained properly can have potholes, uneven surfaces, poor lighting, and unpainted or slick speed bumps.
- Pool or spa area. Wet surfaces can be slippery, but hotels should provide adequate handrails.
Common Injuries Associated With Slip and Fall Accidents
Victims of slip and fall accidents might suffer minor bumps and bruises, broken bones, and/or permanent disabilities. Other slip and fall injuries can include:
- Head injuries. People who slip and fall can hit their head, resulting in a concussion or a traumatic brain injury (TBI). TBIs can create problems with balance and memory as well as cause cognitive changes and behavioral issues.
- Back and neck injuries. Falling down can cause a broken or slipped disk along the lower neck and spinal column. Some victims experience chronic pain that requires surgical treatment. In some cases, victims may no longer be able to work.
- Pelvic injuries. Slip and fall victims are often elderly, so broken hips and cracked pelvises are not uncommon. These painful injuries often require extensive surgery, extended hospital stays, and rehabilitation.
- Tendon and ligament tears. The natural response when falling is to try and catch yourself, which can often lead to torn ligaments or tendons. These injuries can result in life-long problems if they don’t completely heal.
What to Do If You Are Injured
If you are hurt because of a slip and fall in a hotel, you should follow these steps:
- Report what happened to hotel management. Provide details, and ask for your own copy of the report. Be accurate about your injury, and avoid overstating or understating its seriousness. Do this even if you think your injuries are minor. Adrenaline can often mask symptoms, and you may not realize for hours or even days just how serious your injuries are.
- Take photos or videos of the area where the fall happened and what might have caused it.
- Talk to anyone who might have witnessed what happened. Get their contact information in case you need to reach them if you file a personal injury case.
- Contact a personal injury attorney while your memory is still fresh, and talk to them about what happened. Most hotels have video surveillance, and your attorney can obtain that crucial piece of evidence for your case.
Damages You Might Be Able to Recover
Damages you might be able to recover after a slip and fall include:
- Medical bills
- Cost of future medical services
- Other expenses associated with the injury
- Pain and suffering
Working with an attorney is essential to protect your rights and to help ensure you recover maximum damages. An attorney can help you prove that your injury resulted because of an unsafe condition that the hotel should have known about—and corrected.
Our experienced team will do a thorough investigation of what happened during your accident, identify the potentially liable parties, and help you get the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. We work on a contingency basis, so we do not collect fees unless you recover damages. Make an appointment for a consultation today.